3.19.2009

Q1 Music Report

Best music of Q1, 2009

* Andrew Bird – Noble Beast
We saw Andrew Bird in concert last weekend, and I have to say – he is probably the most talented live musician I have ever seen. His show is incredible, and if you are a fan of his music you owe it to yourself to see him in concert. This album is a “grower” – it took me about 3-4 listens to really start feeling it.

Favorite tracks: Tenuousness; Not a Robot, But a Ghost (AB added lyrics to an instrumental track by Martin Dosh, who played drums for most of the show)


* Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
It’s an Animal Collective album, and a good one at that. All of the songs are good, but I particularly like Daily Routine and Lion in a Coma.


* Here We Go Magic – S/T
Yeasayer + Paul Simon + something else I can’t put my finger on. The first half and second half sound like different albums. The first half is outstanding; I would probably overlook this album if it was all like the second half.

Favorite tracks: Only Pieces (the percussion in this song reminds me of King Crimson’s Beat album); Tunnelvision


Honorable Mention:

* Beirut – March of the Zapotec
Unlike the Here We Go Magic album, March of the Zapotec & Realpeople Holland really is two separate albums in one. I think the March of the Zapotec portion stands on its own pretty well, and is more in line with what I like/expect from Beirut.


* Laura Gibson – Beasts of Seasons
There aren't a lot “big” sounds on this album, which makes it nice to have on when you’re working / reading / napping. Spirited is my favorite track.


* Neko Case – Middle Cyclone
This Tornado Loves You is quickly becoming one of my favorite Neko Case songs. This album ends with a 30+ minute track of nothing but cricket/frog noises. Probably not something you would put on your iPod.

No comments: